1752767 Members
5205 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Quadro 6000 running PCIe 1.1 instead of PCIe 2.0 on ML350p Gen 8

ben_percer
Occasional Contributor

Quadro 6000 running PCIe 1.1 instead of PCIe 2.0 on ML350p Gen 8

We are trying to use an nVidia Quadro 6000 on an ML350p G8 server for GPU computing, and it is running in PCIe gen 1.1 mode instead of gen 2.0.  On the DL370G6 server, we had this issue, but found a BIOS setting to force PCIe gen 2.0, which worked.  But, for the ML350p G8, we do not see this BIOS option.  Does anyone know how to get it to run gen 2.0 on the ML350p G8?  What is the issue here?  Thanks.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Servers > General to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL) - HP Forums Moderator

2 REPLIES 2
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: Quadro 6000 running PCIe 1.1 instead of PCIe 2.0 on ML350p Gen 8

Please review the following setting “Power Management Options > Advanced Power Management Options> Maximum PCI Express Speed” in RBSU. This option, when set to maximum, allows the PCIE card to function at its maximum speed. If option is set to PCI-E Generation 1.0, then the card is forced to work at 1.0 speed.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

ben_percer
Occasional Contributor

Re: Quadro 6000 running PCIe 1.1 instead of PCIe 2.0 on ML350p Gen 8

I determined what the problem was.  The card dynamically changes between PCIe 1 speeds and PCIe 2 speeds depending on work load.  I was checking the card when it was idle, and it was running PCIe 1.1.  When running CUDA code on the card and checking status with SIV, however, it was running at PCIe 2.0.  So, it is working properly after all.  I was not aware that PCIe 2.0 cards could dynamically change speed mode.