New Discussion юеВ

Question about HP CD subscription ?????

SOLVED
Go to solution
Darrenrd
Advisor

Question about HP CD subscription ?????

Hi, All
Perhaps someone from HP can explain to me why customers should now pay for a utility that used to be free with Smart Start version 6.4 etc. Currently every new server purchase you receive a foundation pack that contains Smart Start 7.0 and the management CD
Apparently HP took out what used to be a free utility that is need to perform HD firmware update " The ROM utility" and put it on a CD that you have to pay for, that's now part of the maintenance software CD subscription. This approach doesn't seem to be appropriate for HP customers.. Why should we pay for a tool that addresses HP bugs and fixes??

-Darren
Live life like there is no tomorrow
5 REPLIES 5
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

Re: Question about HP CD subscription ?????

The subscription service is a proactive deal where you automatically get sent the new SmartStart whenever a new one comes out. So I can see why this would be a paid service. All of the individual utilities and drivers are still available for free download.

I believe that the Foundation Pack will be made available as a free ISO download starting with the next revision, probably available in late summer.

Thanks,
Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
MC1903
Regular Advisor
Solution

Darren,

I raised this exact same issue with our HP Account Manager back in April and last week I finally got a positive reply.

As of the 2nd August 2004, the ISO download option (P/N: 356574-B21) will be made available free of charge.

The media kit will remain a chargeable option, which is fair enough I think.

Hope this helps.

Martin
Jonas Back_2
Super Advisor

Thanks for the info that it will be possible to download ISO:s after the summer.

Since there are some utilities that are not possible to download from the HP web - like the Diagnostics Utility and some ROM update utility for RAID-cards I think.

Anyway, that will be all over after the summer then.
Darrenrd
Advisor

Thanks info Martin.. I'm happy to hear that HP is going to have an ISO available for download !!
Live life like there is no tomorrow
MC1903
Regular Advisor