ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753427 Members
5007 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Question about PCI-E/X on DL360G5

SonnyBurnette

Question about PCI-E/X on DL360G5

We have a DL360G5 and I need to install a PCI express card for an external scsi drive. The card has the small pci express slot but wont fit where that riser card is due to it's (the card's) size. It will however fit on the opposite side. That slow is marked "Full PCI-E/X" and has a riser card in it.

Is the PCI-E/X card a dual purpose slot? Can it be used for either PCI-E or PCI-X?
2 REPLIES 2
James Kennedy_4
Trusted Contributor

I beleive the risers are interchangable. By default the server usually comes with a PCI-E slots. You may have to purchase a seperate riser if you want to use PCI-X cards in the server.

I know this is the case with the DL380 G5, so i'm just assuming the 360 is the same way. Check the server documentation to be sure though.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

There are different risers, some with PCIe and PCI-X slots and some with just PCIe. NOTE - I'm not sure if a PCIe card will physically fit into a PCI-X slot (I hope they spec'ed PCIe such that it does not), but if it does, you don't want to do that - there is no such thing as a combo *slot* - the slot is either PCI-X or PCIe.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows