cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Smart Array Controller 5i

nathaphol_k
Occasional Visitor

Question about Smart Array Controller 5i

I use HP ProLiant DL580-G2 with Smart Array Controllor 5i and 4 sets of 146.8 10K rpm Hot plug disk to setup RAID-5. Now the 2 sets of hot plug failed and I try to oreder hot plug disk with same specification (10K rpm) to HP Thailand but they return with this hot plug not in store and maybe this product is discontinue. They invite me to use 15K rpm hot plug. The question is
1. I see the controller specificatin, The maximun disk is 10K rpm , So is it possible to use 15K rpm hot plug disk ?
2. I yes , Can I use 15K rpm hot plug together with 10K rpm hot plug by setup in RAID-5 ?
2 REPLIES
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Re: Question about Smart Array Controller 5i

Hi!

1. Yes you should be able to use the 15K disk with the 5i controller but it will only use 10K rpm. Its backwards compatible.

2. Yes you should be able to use it with your existing 10K drives in your RAID5 but as above it will only run in 10K mode. This is true with all controllers with mixed RPMs it will always use the the least amount of RPMs avalible in the Array.

nathaphol_k
Occasional Visitor

Re: Question about Smart Array Controller 5i

Thank you very much for your response. I don't care the speed of new disk be reduce to 10K , just want to use the Server space in original size. Thank You.