New Discussion юеВ

Re: Question about motherboard replacement on a DL380G5

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nathan Simpson
Frequent Advisor

Question about motherboard replacement on a DL380G5

Hi,

We have a DL380G5. I am not sure but I think we may have a motherboard problem.

Is replacing a motherboard a simple task of unplugging everything, and putting the new one back in?

We had a tech here a while back and he said that we would have to do something with the array we had setup. It sounded like he said we would have to restore our data, but I could have been mistaken.

So is this a simple job?

Thanks

Nathan
6 REPLIES 6
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Now that you've decided to replace the system board, HP has a Service Media Library which has FRU videos of various part replacements.

Access it at:
http://h20438.www2.hp.com/index.html
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

FYI.. The link has videos with audio & some precautionary measures to be taken. Familiarize yourself with the videos, I am sure actual replacement would be a snap.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi

just to know what do you think you need to replace System board?

is the server in warranty?
I mean if you don't feel conformable doing it (replace SB) you can ask for a tech guy to replace it if the server is in warranty (by the way very new server )

Ok for the other point, when you replace a SB you don't to worry about the data in the HDDs that is not related

in case you want to check how to remove the different components for the DL380 g5 server
it is the link for the video guide

http://h20181.www2.hp.com/plmcontent/NACSC/SML/

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Nathan Simpson
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Thanks. Looking back over the question I think I put the relevant stuff last.

Yes, the server is still under warranty and an HP tech would be doing the work.

My main concern was the raid arrays. I would hate to see them lost and have to restore from tape.

And those videos are great.

Thanks

Nathan
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

yes don't worry about data on HDDs. the information about RAID level is kept in the HDDs (RIS Tables) you even can put those HDDs in another server like DL380 G5 so the Data and RAID level is going to be intact.

of course that is in the case the issue is not related with HDDs just SB.

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Brian Murdoch
Advisor

Hi Nathan,

Remind the engineer to fit the rear fan bracket to the new system board when replacing it. It's very easy to fit the new system board and forget to do this.

You also have to fit the blue plastic PPM securing tabs for the Processor Power Modules - None of this is mentioned in the videos.
The new system board won't come with the plastic fan bracket attached or the PPM tabs, so they have to be unscrewed from the old board and fitted to the new one.

This will save any frustration if the board is fitted without them as these items are easy to miss but you do require them.

As you may have guessed - I've made that mistake before.

I hope this helps.

Brian