New Discussion юеВ

Re: Questions about new DL360p Gen8

SOLVED
Go to solution
StephenWagner7
Frequent Advisor

Questions about new DL360p Gen8

Hey Folks,

Had a few questions. Was wondering if someone could chime in. I just picked up a brand new DL360p Gen8 (Part # 737293-S01). The one with 2 X 10 Core Xeon v2s, Dual 10Gb, Friday of last week (December 20th).

Loaded up ESXi on to it (running off USB media). Running great, SOOOO fast! :) I love this thing!

1) I noticed the server didn't come with an iLo tag hanging off the power supply like I've seen on all the G5 to G7 servers, it does have the sticker on the server though. Did they stop putting these iLo tags on the string on the Gen8 rack servers?

2) I've noticed that both the "HD Controller" (85 Celsius) and "LOM Card" (71 Celsius) are running really hot, although when I put my hand on the top of the server in the area, it's barely warm (almost feels cold). I'm assuming the HD controller is the RAID card, this is odd considering there's no drives attached in the server at all. As for the LOM card, this has the dual 10Gb ports, however I'm only using both in 1Gb. Ambient temperature is 21 Celsius (real worl, not from sensors), and the System Exhaust sensors report 37 and 40 Celsius. Are the HD Controller and LOM temperatures normal? They are fluctuating ~8 degrees so I doubt it's a bad sensor.

3) I'm noticing there is no air baffle inside of the server (except for a super small one around the power supplies). Do the DL360p Gen8s not have a air baffle like the previous generations?

4) Any additional thoughts are welcome.

I'm an HP partner and purchased this directly from distribution. also noticed the security seal was broken on the iLo Insight CD booklet (although the security seal was NOT opened on the license envelope). The server chassis has a date of September 23rd, 2013 stamped in to the metal, and my distributor received it from HP around November 26th, so I doubt this is a repack or used.

Every server I've sold to customers and setup always had iLo entries with a date/time of "Not Set" which I beleive is HP testing the units or doing firmware updates, however I noticed this unit actually had logs prior to "Not Set" dating back to November 23rd, which is 3 days before HP shipped the unit to distribution.

These entries included:

-A bunch of XML logins and logouts

-iLo Management processor being reset to factory defaults twice

-Active Health System Cleared by: System Administrator

-Server name changed by: System Administrator

-Embedded Flash/SD-CARD: Error reading media 0, physical block 65810: Media not present.

Any chance this was a demo unit? Hard to beleive since it's such a new model, and I doubt HP would sell demo units as new to distribution.

PS. I checked the serial # against the warranty checker. Warranty was activated on November 26th when it was received by the HP distributor.

5 REPLIES 5
StephenWagner7
Frequent Advisor

Well, just an update.

I got the temperatures down by covering the vents on the top of the server. Instantly after doing this both the HD controller and the LOM card went down 10-15 degrees each! :)

I'm assuming the iLo entries were from special firmware updates since the server is so new. I can't even update any of the firmware yet as it's not finding the particular part number on the Intelligent Provisioning system (I had to manually update both the servers firmware, and the iLo).

I love how fast this thing is. Can't wait for the extra RAM to show up!

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

StephenWagner7 wrote:

Hey Folks,

1) I noticed the server didn't come with an iLo tag hanging off the power supply like I've seen on all the G5 to G7 servers, it does have the sticker on the server though. Did they stop putting these iLo tags on the string on the Gen8 rack servers?

There is a tab on the front bezel that will slide out. When you pull the tab out, one side has the system serial number, the other side has the iLO information

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
StephenWagner7
Frequent Advisor

I understand that, and I am aware. Thank you.

But I'm curious if the Gen8s are supposed to have the iLo tag attached to the power supplies like all the previous DL360's had.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

Nope, no more toe tags. All Gen8 systems have the slide out tab containing the info

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
StephenWagner7
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Jimmy! I just wanted to make sure no one removed it from the server before I purchased it!