New Discussion юеВ

Questions about replacing hard drives in ML30 Gen9

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jukkiss
Occasional Contributor

Questions about replacing hard drives in ML30 Gen9

Hi,

I'm planning to replace hard drives in my server ML30 Gen9 due to the age of drives. The server has Dynamic Smart Array B140i RAID. The OS is Windows Server 2012 R2.

Currently, the server uses four SATA 1TB drives (HPE model number 657750-B21), configured to RAID1+0 in the array. The new drives are of the same capacity, but with different HPE model number: 861691-B21. The new drives are supported by the server, according to the optional parts list provided by HPE.

Question 1: Even though the drives are "Hot Swappable" by nature, does that entirely mean I can do the hot swap in any given time when the server is powered on and running? I have never done it and this is live production server, so I must be absolutely sure. Backups are up to date. Is there some things I have to do in advance or some settings to be checked before the hot swap? Can the server be in OS when the drive change takes place?

Question 2: Currently, in HPE SSA settings, the sprace activation mode is "failure spare activation". Is that the right setting for the server to be able to start rebuilding the new hard drive? Does the server recognize the inserted empty drive to be automatically rebuilt with the current setting?

Question 3: How does the HPE SSA settings/information panel confirm that the rebuilding of the new drive is complete?

My plan is to gradually change every old hard drive with new one, always waiting the rebuild to be complete before swapping in the next drive.

I attached some pictures and video of the server to the Onedrive link, if that helps. 
Onedrive link

All help is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Best regards
Nico

4 REPLIES 4
Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

Re: Questions about replacing hard drives in ML30 Gen9

Question 1: Even though the drives are "Hot Swappable" by nature, does that entirely mean I can do the hot swap in any given time when the server is powered on and running? I have never done it and this is live production server, so I must be absolutely sure. Backups are up to date. Is there some things I have to do in advance or some settings to be checked before the hot swap? Can the server be in OS when the drive change takes place?

Before add any drive once confirm the new drive you added fully supported. No need to shutdown.

Question 2: Currently, in HPE SSA settings, the sprace activation mode is "failure spare activation". Is that the right setting for the server to be able to start rebuilding the new hard drive? Does the server recognize the inserted empty drive to be automatically rebuilt with the current setting?

Try one by one but before remove the drive must be sure proper backup and rebuilding completed, once done you can do same with another drive one by one.

Question 3: How does the HPE SSA settings/information panel confirm that the rebuilding of the new drive is complete?

you can watch progress in ACU

I Haq
Jukkiss
Occasional Contributor

Many thanks for the reply Ihaqueit

Q1: The official HPE support for the disks is OK. So the "hot plug / hot swap" in on by default? There are no settings hardware/software settings to be adjusted beforehand?

Q2: Ok, then I will leave the settings as they are.

Q3: Will do that, thanks.

Additional question: Is there a need to update server firmware before putting in the new drive?

Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor
Solution

No need first you replaced with one drive and check if it's regular blinks
green, then wait atleast 24 to 72 hours to rebuild , once you found not any
Amber light appear on drive, then ok. If issue persist then must be update.
I Haq
Jukkiss
Occasional Contributor

Right, that's clear now. Your rapid answer is much appreciated. Marked as solved. Have a nice day.