1753562 Members
5926 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Quick and Easy Question

NetworkSystems
Advisor

Quick and Easy Question

Just being precautious here. Only want to add another scsi drive (not part of a raid) another drive share basically.

-win 2003 sp2 std
-hp ml350 g4P
-scsi adapter ultra 320
-no raid

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I don't need smartstart..etc and I can just add the extra scsi (hot) to this server and provide drive letter...etc with no problems?

Or is a shutdown required along with bios configurations? Again this is a simple additional drive addition (no raid)

Thanks bros.
5 REPLIES 5
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

no problem to hot plug the HDD.
Further even if you want, you can't usesmartstart for any storage config without Smart array, like in your scenario.

As for the drive appearance in OS, it should appear, but not 100% sure, didn't tried this, in theory it should work

Regards
RaMpaNTe
Trusted Contributor

Hi, it is well known that you can hot plug driver if the HDDs, Backplane & Controller in conjunction support said option. Now, in the scenario you described both the HDDs and Backplane comply with the requirements but I have my doubts as for the SCSI controller since its is not a Smart Array Controller, it's just a SCSI (dumb) controller.

If its not critical to do this online, the I would do it rebooting the server. You know just to prevent something wrong.
You heve a question... I have an aswer!!!
NetworkSystems
Advisor

thanks guys. I'll be on the safe side and try this after hours just to make sure and i"ll post the results of just hot swap powered up since in theory I feel it should work also....(but you know..lol)

I'll keep you posted.
NetworkSystems
Advisor

FYI - I added the extra scsi drives (hot) went into disk manager in 2003 server and scan for the drives....they showed up no problem guys.

NetworkSystems
Advisor

Thanks alot guys.