Did you mean: 

Quickest way to determine the age of a Proliant server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jos Beunk
Occasional Visitor

Quickest way to determine the age of a Proliant server

Hello,

For a project I have to determine the age of several hundred Proliant servers. If the server is older then 3 or 4 years (depending on the number of servers) the server will be replaced.

Unfortunately the server purchase administration is not available for me and i'm looking for another way to determine the age of these servers.

I tried using the "warranty lookup tool", but it had no useful information for me. Is there some kind of roadmap available for these older Proliant systems?

For example:
Proliant DL360R03 - Produced from xxxx through xxxx

I need to look up all kind of server types; from Proliant 800, 1600, 5500 through DL360G5.

Any help will be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jos Beunk

6 REPLIES
Joel Belizario
Trusted Contributor

Re: Quickest way to determine the age of a Proliant server

Hi Jos,

I'm not aware of any tools that can query the age of a server but have you tried looking through HP's Product Bulletin? The archives section should be a good starting point.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/productbulletin.html

Cheers,
Joel
Michael Bunker
Frequent Advisor

Jos,
The serial number of the Proliant server is reported through several utilities including HP Insight Diagnostics. The manufacturing date is embedded within the serial number.

Example
-----
P9869XDBFT2F3K
Week Code = T2

This code increments alpha-numerically from 00-ZZ each week starting on Dec. 1986.

WEEK CODE CHEAT SHEET
LC = Jan `01
MS = Jan `02
O9 = Jan `03
PQ = Jan `04
R6 = Jan `05
SM = Jan `06
U2 = Jan `07
Jos Beunk
Occasional Visitor

Scott,

You tell me that the manufacturing date is imbedded in the serial number. Is it at a fixed position? Could you tell me what the manufacturing date is for some of my servers based on the serials (which positions should I check?):

8835BX610378
8906BVX40074
8809BRZ20740
GB8541M8MK
7J23JNT1809W
M07SKYD32T
7211JZG10033

Thanks in advance,

Jos Beunk
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Jos,

As suggested perhaps your best way of aging the systems is through the serial number.

It isn't easy however as you have mixed 12 digit (Compaq format) and 10 digit (HP format) systems.

I have attached a document which should help with the decoding. I will also decode the serial numbers you have provided in the previous reply just to give you an example of the system ages and I will reply with the details soon.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Jos,

I managed to get all of the serial numbers decoded with the exception of one. (Please see attached text file)

If you simply need to find the manufacturing date of the server and its warranty expiry date then the following site was very useful to me.

http://h50001.www5.hp.com/ewc/EntResultRouter

Enter the country (UK in my case) and Entitlement Option (I selected ALL). Then enter only the serial number in the serial number box ( You don't need the Product Number). Click "Get Entitlement". It worked with all your serial numbers although I did do a bit more digging to get other information.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Jos Beunk
Occasional Visitor

Brian,

Your answers me out great.

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Jos