1748102 Members
4817 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

R3000 XR UPS with SNMP / Serial Card Configuration problem

simon_108
Advisor

R3000 XR UPS with SNMP / Serial Card Configuration problem

I bought a R3000 XR UPS with SNMP/Serial Card to connect to Proliant and HPUX Server. However, I may use this SNMP/Serial Card to shutdown all Proliant Servers only but I cannot configure it with HPUX 5470 server. I've tried to find some document that has no mention about HPUX. Could this hardware configure may be used on both platforms?

In fact, I used one of Proliant Server to make a management server and install Lansafe software in HPUX also. Would you help to solve my critical question?
7 REPLIES 7
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Re: R3000 XR UPS with SNMP / Serial Card Configuration problem

Hi Simon,

A couple of things that I can think of:

+are the necessary (power) ups agents installed on the HP-UX box?assuming proliant has it, ofcourse!
+has SNMP community string been configured on both boxes to be the same?
+instead of using Lansafe, can you try running just the insight power management agents (for the ups) and then use the Insight Manager (or the latest HP-Systems Insight Manager)to configure UPS settings such as wink time, shutdown timer, etc. Could you try to get this working? This will rule out if there are any compatibility issues for HP-UX and lansafe.

hope this helps and dont forget to assign the points:)

Good luck!
simon_108
Advisor

- Yes, the agent was install to HPUX and Proliant Servers.
- What is the SNMP community string??
- I have no install or configure Insight Manager in HPUX because the Lansafe software is support on HPUX for this model of UPS. Do you mean that Lansafe software cannot support on UPS conpatible with HPUX11i?

Would you let me know where can I get a technical document about R3000RX UPS for Proliant and HPUX and,

Can you confirm me about UPS may use Ethernet port to control both boxes (Proliant and HPUX)?

SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi,

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/power-protection/rackups/r3000xr/

Try this link, it has additional links for all you would like to know about your UPS.

I am trying to find you an authentic article on SNMP community strings, in very brief, think of it as a password for SNMP communication. For proliants running Windows, try this:
1.From start->run type "services.msc" (ofcourse except "" )
2.Look for SNMP service.
3.Right click on it and select properties.
4.Check security tab and here you can edit the default SNMP community strings.

I am not sure how exactly you would go about changing SNMP community strings on HP-UX. Under UNIX, i would guess it would be in snmpd.conf.

Let me know, if this helps and pls dont forget to assign points!

Good luck!

SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi,

More info:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10671_na/10671_na.HTML

I noticed that it supports the HP Power Management Software. So, as I mentioned before, you may try to use Hp power management agents in conjunction with INsight Manager to isolate problems with Lansafe if it is an option for ya.

Ciao!
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Simon,

Interesting stuff, take a look at this:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/power-protection/rackups/r3000xr/questionsanswers.html#1

I could not find HP-UX as a supported OS for either the HP Power management software or Lansafe.

I would suggest contacting HP and finding out if HP-UX is even supported for the type of stuff you wish to do.

Hope, you find it useful and as mentioned before, please do not forget to assign points:)

Regards,
simon_108
Advisor

Since HK HP is not yet to confirm R3000 XR UPS that is support and run on HPUX and Proliant Server simultaneously. Therefore, I need your worldwide support to help that is support or not.

When I use a single serial interface card to connect with HPUX, it's work fine. However, when use SNMP/Serial card, I can't find any info for both boxes.

As you mentioned, I've checked the snmpd.conf in HPUX. I don't know how to configure it. In fact, I would like to identify the following question, would you let me know?

1. Does SNMP/Serial Card can run on Proliant and HPUX Server simltaneously via configured network port?

2. I know Lansafe software can support on HPUX and Proliant is using Power Management Software. What are you meaning about Insight Manager?

Thanks
Simon
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

are my responses not worth any points?

rgds,