Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5500 and load segments

Arnaud Ladrière
Occasional Visitor

R5500 and load segments

Hello

I am planning to buy such a device, to secure a server infrastructure. I need to directly plug the PDU to the UPS through the IEC 309 plug and not use the other entries. The documentation states that the IEC309 input is linked to load segment 1. Does it mean that I will only be able to use half the power of the box ?
5 REPLIES
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: R5500 and load segments

The specs of the R5500 say that the IEC 309 plug is fused for 32 amps, and that it can supply the full power output of the UPS.

According to the manual, this UPS allows you to switch each load segment on/off independently. If you are going to use only the IEC 309 plug, the load segment feature is not important to you.

MK
MK
Arnaud Ladrière
Occasional Visitor

Hello

do you have a link to such information ? I've read on the tech spec that the segments fuse were 15A which is not enough for the supporting a "bridge" configuration (of course I might be wrong !!)
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

I downloaded the actual R5500 UPS user manual from the HP support pages.

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00065453/c00065453.pdf

On pages 44-45 there is a table detailing max power output by connection. The IEC 309 connector power output is explicitly listed as "up to full UPS power rating."

Furthermore, in "Connecting devices to the UPS" on page 22, there is a note that says:
"NOTE: the circuit breaker for load segment 1 protects the C19 and C13 outlets but not the large output receptacle."

MK
MK
Mark Wibaux
Trusted Contributor

Load segments don't specifically restrict the power available to each section. The only restriction is the Amp load on the circuit breaker for that segment. As long as you don't overload the circuit breaker you could in theory put a full 5500VA load on a single segment.
You will probably find that the 32A mentioned in the manual is for the full IEC309-32 connection (the large blue 3 pin plug that look the reverse of the input connection).
I don't imagine the IEC309-C20 connection would have any more than a 15/16A breaker on it.
Arnaud Ladrière
Occasional Visitor

Great ! Thanx