Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAID 1+0 built on a Smart Array 6i

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lethuillier
Frequent Advisor

RAID 1+0 built on a Smart Array 6i

I was asked to build RAID 1+0 volumes on a proliant DL580G3 and a DL380G4.
I read that to be relevant, each member of such volume must rely on an independant SCSI channel to allow parallel I/O.
These servers have an onboard Smart Array 6i SCSI controller, that doesn't seem to be dual channel.

Is it relevant to build RAID 1+0 volumes on such configuration ?
Il faut avoir la foi et non les foies - Il faut avoir la forme et non les formes - Il faut faire la paix et non des pets
2 REPLIES
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: RAID 1+0 built on a Smart Array 6i

It really depends on what you use it for...

RAID1+0 can be set up on a simplex SCSI.

For internal drive cage aspect, using onboard controller and duplex SCSI is really to increase the bandwidth but does not solve I/O contention --- it is like having a massive 10-lane motorway but there is only one junction for everyone to get on/off...

DL580g3 has duplex SCSI as standard, and you can have a conventional way of RAID1+0 set running on it (i.e. channel0 for slot0,1 and channel1 for slot2,3).

However, for DL380g4, although it is possible for duplex config using SA6i, it is split as 2+4 arrangement (i.e. 0,1 and then 2,3,4,5). Not entirely sure about this but I think you will need to buy a SA6402 if slot 0,1 and 2,3 are used as RAID1+0.
Learning never ends
Lethuillier
Frequent Advisor

Re: RAID 1+0 built on a Smart Array 6i

Thank you for your valuable help
Il faut avoir la foi et non les foies - Il faut avoir la forme et non les formes - Il faut faire la paix et non des pets