ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748052 Members
5027 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RAID 1 not even an option using SmartStart 7.8?

JasonWu123

RAID 1 not even an option using SmartStart 7.8?

I have 8 drives(146 gig each) on a DL385 G2. I have 4 of the drives configured for RAID 1+0 with 3 logical drives. I wanted one pair to be mirrored using all of it as one logical drive, but there was only RAID 0 possible. No RAID 1? I also want the last pair to be mirrored also, but only RAID 0 is available to select. Why is there no RAID 1? Thanks. I am using SmartStart 7.8.
2 REPLIES 2
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: RAID 1 not even an option using SmartStart 7.8?

To avoid performance penalties imposed by RAID 1, the SmartArray controllers have always utilized a RAID 1+0 scheme. That means that not only are the drives mirrored, but the controller stripes the data as far as access is concerned. In other words one side of the mirror is hosting primarily the odd tracks and the 'mirror' of them is on the other side of the mirror. That other side of the mirror hosts the even tracks and those are mirrored on the first side. (This is oversimplification, but is close enough)
JasonWu123

Re: RAID 1 not even an option using SmartStart 7.8?

Ok. At first, i thought i did something wrong for it to not be an option. So now i will have 4 drives with RAID 1+0, 2 drives RAID 0, and the last 2 drives RAID 0.