cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAID 5 on DL 380 G5

NunoR
Occasional Visitor

RAID 5 on DL 380 G5

I Have a Proliant DL 380 G5 whith 3 phisical drives supporting RAID 5. I need to add 2 more phisical drives to the RAID volume. Is there any special procedure? Is there any risk of information loss? Is there a need for a rebuild operation, or the system rebuilds itself without the need of having the server down?
Thanks
3 REPLIES
Taifur
Respected Contributor

Re: RAID 5 on DL 380 G5

Hi Nunor,
>>>I Have a Proliant DL 380 G5 whith 3 phisical drives supporting RAID 5

This system is already configured RAID5 by 3 harddisk and raif information is store in raidrom.

>>I need to add 2 more phisical drives to the RAID volume

If you want to add another 2 disk the array will create it as another logical drive means another RAID.

>>Is there any risk of information loss?

If you want to create another logical drive means another RAID, there is no information loss.

>>Is there a need for a rebuild operation, or the system rebuilds itself without the need of having the server down?
There is no rebuild operation as i another logical drive.

You can create RAID from ORCU by pressing F8
after displaying array card.

Rgds//
Taifur
NunoR
Occasional Visitor

Thank you for your help, but imagine that I want to increase the actual volume size adding the 2 disks to the existent RAID, is that possible?

Thanks again
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor

It is possible, you need to expand and extend the logical drive, but you need to have the optional battery for the smart array controller and follow the steps on document attached