ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752815 Members
6282 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RAID 5 on ML115 G5 (using built-in nVidia RAID Controller)

AycheKay
Advisor

RAID 5 on ML115 G5 (using built-in nVidia RAID Controller)

I'm installing Windows Small Business Server 2003 on a ProLiant ML115 G5. I plan to use (3) disks in a RAID 5 array using the motherboard's built-in nVidia RAID controller.

I've been very confused by several different things concerning the RAID on this server and would love to have a few questions answered.

1) An Easy Set-Up CD and a "Read This First" paper came with the server. The paper confusingly states: The HP ProLiant ML115 G5 Server Easy Set-up CD does not support assisted install when the embedded software RAID is enabled. If assisted installation is attempted with software RAID enabled, the HP Proliant ML115 G5 Server Easy Set-Up CD does not stop the user from continuing, resulting in an unbootable OS.

This is confusing for several reasons. We disabled RAID in the BIOS, then booted to the Easy Setup CD. The Easy Setup CD has a feature that allows you to configure the RAID array but it couldn't find any RAID controllers. So then we enabled RAID in the BIOS and booted to the Easy Setup CD. This time we were met with an error (I don't know the exact error message) that Easy Setup cannot continue because it is not compatible with this RAID controller.

2) I configured a RAID 5 array and then successfully installed SBS to it. Next I installed the nVidia RAID drivers and management tools. After rebooting I was met with a "Master Boot Record Error". I'm assuming that the nVidia drivers I installed are for adding software RAID after an OS has been installed. Since we chose to use the hardware RAID I guess we should not install the nVidia RAID tools and drivers. Can anyone confirm this for me?
3 REPLIES 3
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: RAID 5 on ML115 G5 (using built-in nVidia RAID Controller)

AycheKay
Advisor

I don't think you read my post very well. I already installed my OS using the RAID driver and a USB floppy drive. It worked. Read my questions again. I'm trying to clear up a few things about what kind of RAID this server has.

1) Is it true hardware RAID or some kind of hybrid software/hardware RAID?

2) Am I supposed to be able to configure the RAID using the Easy Setup CD?

3) If I enabled and configured my RAID array in the BIOS, then installed the OS (and the RAID driver during the OS install), do I still need to install nVidia's tools and drivers after the OS is installed?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

oh sorry

1) Is it true hardware RAID or some kind of hybrid software/hardware RAID?

--- yes basically the embedded controller is a software RAID since you can enable it or disable it and also it is the firmware that handles that RAID when it is enable on the other hand a real controller with Hardware RAID has special and dedicated chip to handle the RAID level like e200 - p400

2) Am I supposed to be able to configure the RAID using the Easy Setup CD?

--- no the embedded can not be configured with Easy setup CD, only during POST, and after OS it├В┬┐s installed you can use a Manager software to handle the RAID

3) If I enabled and configured my RAID array in the BIOS, then installed the OS (and the RAID driver during the OS install), do I still need to install nVidia's tools and drivers after the OS is installed?

just the nvidia tool, if the nvidia tools are for RAID management yes, driver not because you already used them when you installed OS

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!