ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748216 Members
4051 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RAID 5 re-configuration - approximate time for array rebuild?

Nick Dollin

RAID 5 re-configuration - approximate time for array rebuild?

Hi,

I have a ProLiant ML370 G4 (running SBS 2003 SP1) with Smart Array 642 controlling 3 x 72GB Ultra 320 15K rpm disks. I'd like to add a further 2 x 72GB disks to the same array (increase the logical drive size). I will be using the HP Array Configuration Utility to reconfigure the array.

I'd appreciate any thoughts / comments on the approximate length of time it will take the system to expand the array - as I'm assuming the disk system will slow done substantially during the array rebuild (expansion) process.

Many thanks,

Nick
4 REPLIES 4
predrag81
Valued Contributor

Re: RAID 5 re-configuration - approximate time for array rebuild?

Hi Nick,

The extension process takes about 15 minutes per gigabyte, or considerably longer if
the controller does not have a battery-backed cache.

Kind regards,
Predrag
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

the process to calculate the time depends on several factors.

<
- you can go to acu -> array or controller settings - there is an option to prioritize the expansion process.

This means if you will not have high I/O requests to the controller you can set the expand priority to "High" and this will use the controler resources mainly for the expansion while the i/o request will be hndled with lower priority.

Regards
Nick Dollin

Thanks very much for the replies - they make sense.
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

found the document accidentally

Raid 5 rebuild performance in ProLiant

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00419664/c00419664.pdf