Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAID 5 replacing

Pattarapol Srikanlayana
Occasional Visitor

RAID 5 replacing

Dear HP support

I have one HP ProLiant DL380 server which is running the IIS service and web server. It has been built RAID5 by 4 SCSI hard drives. My question is If I want to remove the 4 SCSI hds and replacing by a new 4 SCSI hard drive. To install and configure it to be a Mail Server.
Do I have to reconfigure RAID5 in the utitilities? I use hardware RAID on board.

2nd Question, Someday,If I bring the old 4 SCSI hard drives to replace again by putting as the same as before ( all position), Does it can boot up and working normally? All my data in the old hard drives will be lost?

Thanks,

4 REPLIES
dms_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: RAID 5 replacing

Hi,

1. Yes you have to reconfigure the RAID5 in ACU because the information for the RAID configuration is on the RIS sectors of the HDDs

2. Yes you can return them later (each in the slot where it previously was), no data should be lost but HP always recommends a backup.

Regards
Pattarapol Srikanlayana
Occasional Visitor

Thank you dms

So, if i bring my old 4 SCSI hard drives and put them all the same position. Does it need to be rebuilt RAID5 again? or just plug them in and it can boot up.

Best regards,

sanesh vig
Valued Contributor

Hi,

You dont have to rebuild the old SCSI HDDs again as the information about RAID is present in the RIS sector of the HDDs.

But make sure you plug the HDDs in the same slot.

Regards
Pattarapol Srikanlayana
Occasional Visitor

I will backup first before I will try this anyway.

Thank you everyone.

I will report the progress if I can do this without problems.

Best regards,