6087 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RAID 5 with SCSI drives from different vendors

tong826
Occasional Advisor

RAID 5 with SCSI drives from different vendors

Good day.
I have an HP Smart Array 641 with 3 HP 72.8GB hot-plug Ultra320 SCSI hard drive 15K RPM (289243-001) on RAID 5. One drive broke down. Could I replace it with a 73GB Hot-swap SCSI 15K RPM 16mb from Seagate (ST373455LC)? Any unforeseen problems if this is done?
It's also my first time to change a defective disk. Should I just remove the defective disk and replace it with a new one? Then the rebuilding process will already take place?
Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, yes you can just remove the disk and insert the new one. Have you looked in the array configuration utility(ACU) to confirm the problem?

ST373453FC was the closest resembling supported model number I found. That is a seagate 15k 73GB _FC_ disk.

See:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00305257&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=397642
tong826
Occasional Advisor

The ACU does not seem to work. But there were messages in the "HP Proliant Integrated Management Log Viewer".
- Drive Array Device Failure (Slot 4, Bus 2, Bay 2)
- Post Error: 1787-Drive Array Operating in Interim Recovery Mode

Thanks for the info and link. Based on the list, there are several models with the same part number and description as the one we have (Bare Drive Model # BF07285A36). Their difference is on the Bare Drive Model, Bare Drive Assembly Number, Current FW File Version, ROHS Compliant, and Warranty. Can the other hard drives be used instead? We'll just use the current tray that we have from the defective one. By they way, our server is an HP-COMPAQ ML350 G4 model.

Thanks.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, unfortunately I have never tried this myself so I cannot answer if they will work or not. Maybe somebody else who have tried this can help out.
tong826
Occasional Advisor

What we did is just order the replacement part from HP, remove the defective SCSI HD and plug in the new one. Thanks for the replies.