1752806 Members
6054 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RAID Configuration for Linux

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

RAID Configuration for Linux

I'm using the latest SmartStart (v4.80) to configure this server for Linux. It has a Smart Array controller with three 4.3 GB drives.
SmartStart configured two logical drives: one with no redundancy and the other with two mirrored drives. I would have preferred a single RAID 5 logical drive. Is the "1 RAID0 + 1 RAID1" setup preferred (or required) for Linux?
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: RAID Configuration for Linux

Boot the system with the SmartStart CD. Select the Array Configuration utility from the menu. Then select "Custom". Remove the current logical array volumes then select "Create new volume". Select RAID 5 as the type. Make sure that the array configuration utility show all three physical hard drives, or you will not be able to select the RAID 5 option. Save the new array configuration to the controller.

The SmartStart process will not install the Linux OS onto the Prosignia 300. You must select the manual install process. After the BIOS and array controller are configured, you boot the system with the Linux install CD to install the OS. Make sure you select the "text based" and "custom" install method. You must make a boot partition first in the logical array volume that is 50 to 100 MB in size. You partition the rest of the logical array volume any way you want. You install the Lilo boot manager into the boot partition so the array volume is bootable.

See this web page for information on installing the Linux OS onto Compaq systems.
http://www5.compaq.com/products/servers/linux/compaq-howto.html
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Tried all the usual steps (I've been using SmartStart since v2.x). It looks like Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 just doesn't like this hardware. Went all the way through the install - several times - and the "Partition Hard Drive" window shows up completely blank. Guess I'll try yanking the Smart card & finding either a Smart 2 or a generic SCSI card.

Thanks for the URL, though; it looks like it could be useful when/if I go to install Linux on a newer Compaq box.

Doug Black
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

You did not specify in your message which distribution of Linux you were installing. We have successfully installed Red Hat Linux on the Prosignia 300. But the Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 Linux OS is not certified for the Prosignia 300 because the required drivers do not ship with the OS. Try the latest Caldera Open Linux boot disk required for a custom installation of the OS at this web address.
http://www.compaq.com/products/servers/Linux/linux-drivers.html
Check the hardware compatibility list for Caldera OpenLinux and verify that drivers are avaiable for all the devices that are installed into the system.