1753556 Members
5955 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RAID Configuration

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

RAID Configuration

We are looking to purchase a ML530 but are not fully aware of how it is to be setup, is it a non-recommended config or doable at all?
Using one 5302/32, setup two array's. One array will run two 9.1 gig hot swap drives in a simple mirror, and hold the OS. The second array will control up to 10 HD's, 4 from the first cage, and then when we want to expand, 6 more from the other cage. Will this controller support this config?
Also What is the recomended configuration by compaq?

Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6
Pat_63
Occasional Advisor

did you ever get an answer for this? I have the same issue and not sure if we need to buy any additional hardware to enable raid.
Pat_63
Occasional Advisor

did you ever get an answer for this? I have the same issue and not sure if we need to buy any additional hardware to enable raid.
Pat_63
Occasional Advisor

Pat_63
Occasional Advisor

Don Park
Advisor

I am not sure that I understand your question properly. But if there are two external ports on the array controller to connect to external storage that holds 10 HD.
You can configure Raid 5 using 4 HD + 6 HD.
Brian Mitchell_4
Occasional Contributor

We have multiple ML530's. The best configuration would be....
The 5302 has 2 internal channels. Run 1 channel to drive cage 1 the 2nd channel to the 2nd cage. Use the 2 9.1's in cage 1 as array A.
Mirror the 2 nines. Place all other drives in the 2nd cage as array B running on the 2nd channel. Raid 5 would be the best. This will seperate your os disk usage and your data disk usage.
2nd best would be all drives in the first cage.
2 seperate arrays. When you add drives to the 2nd cage you will be able to expand the original data array. Hope this helps