New Discussion

RAID Issue on Server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mahmood Khatri
Occasional Advisor

RAID Issue on Server

Hi

We have a Proliant DL380 Gen9 Server which has gone faulty. It looks like the System Board is faulty as it intermittently shuts down. The Server is using Smart Array P440ar – with RAID5 configuration. We are planning to replace it with a new DL380 Gen10. However, we need to retain the data from the Old Server to the New Server by plugging the disks to the new server

Need advise if that will work smoothly

2 REPLIES 2
Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

Re: RAID Issue on Server

Hi,

These servers are used in different raid controller cards. It can not.

You need to restore from the full backup to the new server.

DL380 Gen9 - P440ar
DL380 Gen10 - P408i-a SR

Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: RAID Issue on Server

@Mahmood Khatri  wrote Hi

We have a Proliant DL380 Gen9 Server which has gone faulty. It looks like the System Board is faulty as it intermittently shuts down. The Server is using Smart Array P440ar – with RAID5 configuration. We are planning to replace it with a new DL380 Gen10. However, we need to retain the data from the Old Server to the New Server by plugging the disks to the new server

Need advise if that will work smoothly

@Erdogan Temur wrote:

Hi,

These servers are used in different raid controller cards. It can not.

You need to restore from the full backup to the new server.

DL380 Gen9 - P440ar
DL380 Gen10 - P408i-a SR

Your response to the original poster is incorrect. You can take the drives from a Gen9 server using a P440ar and place them in a Gen10 server with a P408i and the array controller will recognize the arrays.   All Smart Array controllers will recognize arrays created on other Smart Array controllers.  The only caveat is the controller you are moving to needs to be at the same or newer firmware level.  Also depending on what generation servers you are working with, the drive caddies may not be compatible. The only case where this is not true is with the Smart Array P824i-p MR. The Megaraid based controller uses different technology than the SR based controllers.

The issue you will encounter is that on UEFI based systems the boot entry information is stored in UEFI so you must manually add/edit the correct information about booting into RBSU before the system will start the OS.  

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!