cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAID Issues with ML310 G4

Steve Bourque
Occasional Visitor

RAID Issues with ML310 G4

I have several ML310 G4s each with 2 SATA drives. I am having issues with both the internal "sofware" RAID controller (enabled in the BIOS) and an 8 Internal Port SAS/SATA RAID Controller that was purchased for these servers.

The internal RAID controller does not appear to be creating an array even after it has been setup. Both our imaging software and Windows still sees two separate drives.

The add-on controller also does not appear to be working. After the controller is installed, and I attempt to configure it by pressing F8 at the prompt, I get one of two results. The first time after installing it, I get a screen with a large blue square and some gibberish text. Subsequent attempts result in a message about starting the SAS configuration, but it never progresses beyond this.

Has anyone experienced issues with either of these RAID options in this server model? We use the same add-on controller in out DL320s without any issues. Thanks in advance.

-Steve
4 REPLIES
Ryan Goff
Valued Contributor

Re: RAID Issues with ML310 G4

Which driver are you using for the onboard ML310g4 Raid controller?

When onboard raid is enabled, the driver being used should be:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/26742.html

If the onboard raid is not properly enabled in the bios or configured incorrectly Windows will see two drives as you have explained.

Have you trie to setup the onboard Raid with the other pci raid card removed?
Steve Bourque
Occasional Visitor

There currently is no OS installed on the server. I am not too familiar with the onboard RAID controller, but I presume that the RAID should all be handled independently of the OS and any drivers, since although it is labeled software RAID, in reality it is handled by the motherboard. Please correct me if I am wrong, however.

When I configured it, I created the array, and it took several hours to initialize. The server then seemed to indicated the array had been created and initialized. However, our imaging software (Acronis) still saw the two drives, and if I remember correctly, so did Windows.

When we initially tried using the onboard RAID, we did not yet have the PCI controller installed.

Thanks for the response.
Ryan Goff
Valued Contributor

Which driver are you using for the onboard raid?
Lmm_1
Honored Contributor

You can migrate from Jbod to Raid 0/1 on Embedded SATA RAID Controllers.

What does that mean:

1. Install OS with Embedded SATA RAID Disabled(No Drivers or F6 required) on one Harddrive.
2. Once OS is installed, Extract the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers to a folder.
3. Goto Control Panel-> Add New Hardware->Device is connected->New Hardware->Raid Controller->Have Disk->Browse to the folder where the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers were extracted. Select the .inf file->Install Adaptec Raid Driver.
4. Restart the Server goto BIOS enable the Embedded SATA RAID.
5. Press F8 and goto Sata Raid BIOS->Configure the Drives->Create Array->Raid 0/1 A warning message will appear "Warning: Configuring the drives will erase all Array information from the selected drives, if that drive is part of an array. Arrays using any of these drives as members will be affected! Do you want to continue?(Yes/No):". Press "Y" to continue.
6. If Raid 1 is selected it will ask you what is the Source Disk, select the Right Disk in which OS was installed previously. Warning message might appear again. Select "Y".
7. Rebuild will take sometime, once rebuild is complete restart the server.

Once rebooted Raid would be detected and windows would boot up, in windows it would detect new hardware and Adaptec Raid drivers will be installed. Now Server is built migrated to Raid Successfully.