4880 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

RAID MADNESS SA-431 and MAX Boot

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

RAID MADNESS SA-431 and MAX Boot

HELP ME!!
Loading Smart Start 4.90, Manual install as you can select TS4 from the list, go through remove Smartstart for an NT TS4 Cd boot, checks hardware, Where's my RAID controller gone, NT does not know of this, Smart Start does not have the driver on it that works, Compaq said they would fix this in version 4.90, do you know where i can find the driver for an SA-431 Ultra3 (single Channel) uummmppp!

Also i've set up the controller as a RAID 5 stripe set and created a logical drive useing 63 Sectors for a Max Boot of 7.8Gb in NT, as the TS4 is going to a main Application relay for clients. Is this right for a Max Boot partition? if not tell me the way of the Jedi??? how's you doing it that works, please not Smart Start Scripting solutions, don't have time to learn it just yet!!!

Have you had this, do you know how much pain i'm in can you help?

Shoot me, shoot me now!!!!
1 REPLY 1
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: RAID MADNESS SA-431 and MAX Boot

Smartstart does NOT install Terminal Server... The only way you can do this is via a manual install. As to the max boot thing - that's the absolute limit for NT itself (7.8GB is a "brick wall"). The controller has nothing to do with that issue.

Here is the guide for installing TSE on a controller not natively supported:

In order to install TSE on a system with a current Compaq SCSI controller, you need to create the 3 NT install disks from the NT TSE CD. Use the "WINNT /OX" command to do this. Then, when the Smartstart manual install is done, boot from those disks - without the NT CD in the drive until asked. Choose "custom" for the install mode (F6 key) and skip detection on mass storage. Specify an unlisted controller and use the Compaq NT 4.0 SSD for the drivers. Then specify a secondary controller and use the NT "IDE/Atapi" driver. You can also use the SSD for the NIC drivers (also likely to be out of date in NT).