1752360 Members
6297 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: RAID configuration in DL 380 G5 servers

thakadi
Contributor

RAID configuration in DL 380 G5 servers

I have 6 drives in the sever numbered 1 through 6.

Drives 1,2,3 and 4 need to be installed in a RAID-10 (sometimes called 1+0) array. This will create an array of around 146GB called Array1

Drive 5 needs to be installed in another array (no disk resilience). This will create an array of around 73GB called Array2

Drive 6 needs to be made a hot-spare for Array1

How to configure this, please anyone help me in this.
4 REPLIES 4
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Hi!

Don't know what you use to deploy servers. but you could use smartstart CD.

Boot the CD. Choose maintain server. And then create/maintain Array. The Use the ACU that starts to build you raid config. after that continue to install your computer with smartstart.

If you are using RDP do the sam but instead of continuing your installation. PXE boot the server and use read raid config script from RDP and then implement the results from that script in your OS deployment script.
thakadi
Contributor

i have doubt in Array2 configuration. how we create Array2(no disk resillence) with single drive. and what he ment by Drive 6 which is a hopt- spare for Array1.

Can anyone explain me in detail. i never did like that

thanks
joseph
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

To setup Array 2 you just make a RAID0 with only one disk (disk 5).

Disk 6 is a "reserve" disk that is used incase of a disk in the raid fails. Then it jumps in and rebuilds to be apart of the RAID that is missing a disk.

To make a hot spare disk´. Use the Array configuration utility. click on the array. in this case Array 1 and choose hotspare management or something like that and then add disk 6 as hot spare.

Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Found a good pdf on ACU

http://docs.hp.com/en/9320/acu.pdf