7851 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: RAID configurations over Multichannels

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

RAID configurations over Multichannels

To whom it may concern,

First of all thank you for your time. I have query regarding performance issue with raid configurations across a multichannel RAID controller.

The hardware used is the Proliant ML570. Our system runs on a RAID 1 and RAID 5 configuration: 2 ultra3 10K RPM on RAID 1 and 5 ultra3 10K RPM on RAID 5. The system will be a database server, and will host the database server application only (Oracle 8i, SQL Server 7.0 for examples). It will be connected to 8 workstation that will sent 100 over cell entries of data to be stored on the server every 15 min. In addition to this 15 workstation will access the database at any time to request and retrieve or delete data stored on the database. The system will be on 24 hours a day.

Lets say in a hypothetical situation that 2 the RAID configuration above is both placed on 1 channel.
- HOW MUCH improvement in performance will there be IF the 2 RAID configuration above is placed in 2 different channels instead of 1; each RAID configuration on a different channel.

regards,
jimmy
1 REPLY 1
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: RAID configurations over Multichannels

Two RAID's placed on different channels from same controller will provide you better performance due to each Raid of Data Request is traveling from different DATA BUSES Remember that Raid-1 performance is better than Raid-5 because of the time it takes Raid-5 to Stripe across all 5 hard drives Also remember that the Raid's can only be separated I/out data loss to different channels, using same Internal Ports or External Ports. And that is determined by the original configuration of the Raid sets as being setup for internal or external.