ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753428 Members
4864 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RAID degraded, unable to identify failed physical drive!

Hans-Martin Haga

RAID degraded, unable to identify failed physical drive!

Server: HP ML310 T5 E3110,
464498-425

Problem: HP Storage manager reports a defective drive, a RAID status led is also flashing yellow. I am unable to identify which drive has failed, as I the information I receive is conflicting!

From the log:
Logical drive is degraded: controller 1, logical drive 2 ("DATA").
Failed drive: controller 1, port 2 (Vendor: GB0500C8 Model: 046 ).

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x245/hmhaga/misc/raid.jpg

LED 1 is flashing yellow, but this a 250 GB drive - and it HAS to be OK as this is the system boot disk and is not a part of the raid volume.
LED 4 - why is this LED ON when the bay is empty?

The RAID consists of the TWO 500 GB drives, the 250 GB drive is independent.
What drive is defective? None of them? ;)

2 REPLIES 2
Hans-Martin Haga

Time to read the manual, these are not drive status LEDs. But I'm still not able to identify the defective drive.

cnb
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Yes thoses are not drive status LEDs. They are the system status lights. See the attached Service Manual link for further information.

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01272014/c01272014.pdf

The 500GB disk in Volume Group 'DATA' on Port 2 is reporting a problem and the RAID is degraded. If the drive has failed it should have a fault light lit/flashing. If it hasn't completely died yet, the fault light may not be displayed and you have to figure out which drive is connected to port 2 using the diag tools indicated in the guide. It is best to use the tools to ID the drive just in case port 2 isn't physical slot 2 in the drive bay. It's going to be either 2 or 3, since 4 is empty.

HTH