1752815 Members
6069 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RAID disk fail email notification

grokit
Occasional Visitor

RAID disk fail email notification

I have a ProLiant ML1110 G5 with a 2 disk RAID1 array running Windows Server 2003. The RAID is reporting the it is an Adaptec SCSI RAID 

I've taken over managing this server, and it appears that there is no method to alert anyone if one of the disks fails, which is just asking for trouble!

I want an alert if either of the disks develop problems, preferably via email.

I've trawled through HPs site and the wider internet, but I can't find anything relevant.  There doesn't appear to be anything applicable to download in the driver list. Surely this is the most common use-case! How is it done?

6 REPLIES 6
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

The ML110 G5 doesn't have a Smart Array controller, it uses chipset RAID which is controlled by a driver (software RAID) The unit also uses an optional LO100 management card which does not provide the same featrue set as iLO.  I never worked much with LO100, but I'm not sure it has the capability to email on error like iLO. I don't think Systems Management Homepage will provide info on the chipset RAID in that system.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
grokit
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the ideas Emilian. I did try those, but no dice.

"HP ProLiant Smart Array SAS/SATA Event Notification Service for Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008" wont install because it says there is no supported hardware.

"HP ProLiant Array Configuration Utility for Windows" installs, but doesn't have the ability to email notifications and it's not really clear if it can even detect errors.

grokit
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Jimmy. I guess that explains why my Google-fu failed.
waaronb
Respected Contributor

You can probably still install the HP Agents and then monitor the system with Systems Insight Manager. SIM is big and bulky for monitoring just one machine, but that's the tool HP gives us.

SIM will monitor the system and you can setup alerts for any hardware issues. Just make sure the agents and the systems management homepage (SMH) are installed on the server first and you can see hardware status. If you can't see it from the SMH, SIM won't be able to see it either.
grokit
Occasional Visitor

Holy cow... Big and bulky is no understatement: 1.5GB download!!!

This is insanity, but I'll give it a go.