1752786 Members
5983 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RAID jumping to RAID 0

Bob Salomon
Occasional Advisor

RAID jumping to RAID 0

I have an existing production server ML150G6.
There are four hard driving installed. Using the onboard RAID controller, they were set as two sets of RAID 1 drives. The server rebooted with an 1779 that a raid drive was restore. The went into SBS 2008 fine. I rebboted and checked the raid, the OS set (first and second physical drives) were now set as RAID 0. I do not trust RAID 0 and want it back to 1

I booted back into windows, because I wanted a backup before I did anything. But the server backup fails at the size of the actual drive in set 1. So, the set consists of two 245GB drives and the backup fails at 220GBs. The RAID 0 volume shows up as woith 268Gb of data. I am sure that the drive only have 60 or so GB of data before the problem.

How do switch back to RAID 1 without blowing out my OS? Also while trying to make the new BU I overwriten my old backup.
3 REPLIES 3
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Re: RAID jumping to RAID 0

Get two backups and do verify on the data. You will need more than 60% available space on RAID 0 to move to RAID 10. I would recommend a clean install to do this. It would be less problems.

You will need 60% free space because RAID 10 will be 1/2 the size of RAID 0.

Backup fails at 220GB. Did you extend Windows or your OS to fill the new RAID 0 space? Did you run chkdsk or error checking.

Bob Salomon
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the sugestion. Right know I cannot back up. I like the idea of chkdsk, it just had not dawn on me, though it should have. What I was thinking of doing was to clone the two drives offline. Then with the clones in the server, try setting the raid back to 1. If it blows up I still have the originals.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

I would not do anything without a backup. Try Windows backup to a USB or Firewire drive. Anything to back it up.