1753776 Members
7308 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RAID on ML310 G1

Moray Sandison_1
Occasional Advisor

RAID on ML310 G1

I have just rebuilt an ML310 G1 with Windows Server 2003 and added a second SCSI drive to the controller. However, when I try to launch the HP Array Config Util to create a RAID1 disk it shows that the "ACU did not detect any supported controllers in your system".
In HP SIM the controller shows as a SCSI controller on port 1 of the system board of type "Compaq Wide Ultra3 SCSI Adapter". Does anyone know how I can RAID the two drives that I have in there?
During the boot up process it shows the Adaptec controller and the drives on it but i cannot see anyway to configure from there (see attachments).

Any help would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Re: RAID on ML310 G1

Hi,

The two disks in your machine are connected to a SCSI controller, not a RAID controller, hence why you cannot create a RAID-1 disk.

If I recall correctly the ML310 G1 didn't include a SmartArray controller as standard which explains why ACU couldn't find one.

To get RAID-1 you'll either have to purchase a controller, or set up software mirroring in Windows.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
Moray Sandison_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the quick response. I feared that would be the case. The problem I have is that from what I have read, OS based RAID will obviosly have an overhead that uses up some CPU but will also require a floppy disk with the correct "arcpath" so that I can boot to the other disk should there be a failure.
Can you shed any light on that?
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Moray,

The embedded SCSI controller is not supported by ACU as it is not a hardware raid solution simply a SCSI controller.

You would need to install a PCI based HP Smart Array controller for hardware raid and ACU support. You could use Server 2003's Disk Management utility to create a software raid (mirror) using the other disk but there is an overhead involved and it would never be as resiliant as a hardware solution.

If you do want to follow the software raid configuration here is a step-by-step procedure to achieve this which should assist.

http://www.netadmintools.com/art439.html

I hope this helps.

Brian