Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAID performance issues with W2008!

Janez Makovsek
Occasional Contributor

RAID performance issues with W2008!

Hi!

We have two SATA RAID arrays, 2x1TB RAID1 and 8x1TB RAID5 with PL 180 and W2008 Datacenter. For most of the time the second array can deliver 500MBytov/s, but occassionly only 12MB/s.

I tested this by copying large 2GB file several times. The first RAID1 array never delivers more than 12MBytes/s, although our service operator reported that once he saw it reach 187MB/s.

There are no other visible problems on the server. It seems stable, it can reboot, no errors. Chipset drivers installed, W2008 updates installed. Uses HP SATA drives for the second array.

Any ideas what could be wrong? What could cause the drive speed to almost randomly fallback to 12MBytes/s more regulary on one array than on the other? There are no errors reported by the RAID arrays.

Thanks!
Atmapuri
6 REPLIES
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Re: RAID performance issues with W2008!

What array controller are you using? Poor performance of this type is generally due to the write cache not being enabled.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Janez Makovsek
Occasional Contributor

Hi!

I am only the user and did not do the setup. I have attached the report generated by the Array Diagonostic Utility 8.10.3, if anybody can make some sense from this.

Here is one observation. When the 2GB long file is being copied, you can see large bursts and long periods of silence sometimes almost for 0.5s there is no traffic.

I suspect that guys who setup this machine are new to HP HW and might have missed something.

Thanks!
Atmapuri
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

I suppose this is a Dl180 right?

as Terry said try enabling Drive Write Cache
I added a .doc which says how to do it using ACU

that would be first step enable Drive Write Cache if the issue continues I recommend you to update BBWC to improve performance you an get 512 MB cache also

also I saw in ADU report that p400 has latest Firmware but also try updating Driver for P400
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3580698&prodNameId=3580699&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-7cd0a9e8c76f4217b3cc32b0f3

bye
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Janez Makovsek
Occasional Contributor

Hi!

Where is the doc (?). :) I assume the ACU means the Array configuration utility.

Thanks!
Atmapuri
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

oh sorry

yes "ACU means the Array configuration utility"

here it is
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Janez Makovsek
Occasional Contributor

Installing a new driver improved the performance a little, but still not to where it should be. Copying 2GB large file now copies with 50MBytes/s instead of 12MBytes/s.

Enabling write cache had no effect.