1753448 Members
4998 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RAID rebuild is stuck

caprince
Occasional Collector

RAID rebuild is stuck

I have a Proliant 380DL G5 with 8 SATA drives. The first 2 drives are a RAID 1 with 500 Gig HDD's.  The next 3 drives are a RAID 5 with 1 Tb HDD's and the last 3 drives are also a RAID 5 with 1 Tb HDD's.  I am running ESXi 4.1 with about 8 Windows 2008 R2 VM's.  One of the drives in my 1st RAID 5 had a steady amber LED a few weeks ago.  This I believe means the drive has failed or will fail.  I hot swapped the drive with an identical drive and after a few seconds the green LED started blinking steady once every second or so.  This indicates that the RAID is rebuilding and the drive should not be removed.  That was about 3 weeks ago.  I have done this in the past and it usually takes just a day or 2 to rebuild.

Any ideas on what to do?  I would like to pull the steady blinking drive out and replace with another.

Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
CSHP

Hi Caprince,

DO you have ILO configured on this server, if yes then you can connect to ILO and check the status of the hard drives/hardware.

Such issue are usually caused either by the faulty drive in the RAID or the controller firmware.

Some time a restart can also help (But make sure you take a backup before doing so or move the VM's to a different host).

Hope this helps...

caprince
Occasional Collector

CSHP
I have 2 of theses servers and ILO2 installed on both. I just upgraded to the latest version of ILO2. I have never been able to see the HDD's or RAID. I always thought I should. I see memory ,CPU, etc. Maybe I am doing something wrong? Maybe I am not looking in the right place. The only place I can see the RAID is in the BIOS.

Thanks