1753435 Members
4533 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RAID

d_kblee
Occasional Contributor

RAID

Hi! If i'm configuring raid 5 on this machine, what's the best way of configuring the raid? so that in future if i;m going to add in another SAS scsi drive into the existing array i would be able to mount the addition HD space into one of the existing partition and not creating another brand new partition. Pls advise

Here's the model of the server and the controller used.
HP ProLiant server DL360 G4p (389820-371)
HP Smart Array P600 Controller with 256MB Cache installed in a PCI-X slot
3 REPLIES 3
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Re: RAID

Hello d_kblee,

Afaik,there's nothing like best way of configuring the raid.
Rather there's one way and that's depending on the requirement.

This is what needs to be done if you add a disk:

1.Launch ACU.
2.Add the physical disk to existing array (expand the array).
3.Select the existing Logical volume and extend the volume.

Hope this helps.

SRH
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

The only thing you would really be able to configure on the raid 5 would be how many drives are in it and what the stripe size is. The stripe size will have no bearing on whether you can expand the array or extend the logical drive. The stripe size will affect the performance on the server though.

HP doesn't provide any method for expanding Windows partitions either. The only thing I'm aware of which HP has is virtualization software for storage and that would definitely be overkill for your situation.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
d_kblee
Occasional Contributor

Hi!

From experience is that, we will have problem adding in a new drive into the existing partition if we've only one array and one logical drive with multiple partitions(OS and data). I'm not sure how do i add in a new HD into the existing partition using Hardware RAID. I know that this can be done through Dynamic disk and using tool called diskpart, but what should be the initial setup, so that in the future i can add in the new drive into whatever partition(data) i want. Pls advise.

Thanks.