1748058 Members
5051 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RAID

Matthias Albrecht

RAID

I planned using a ProLiant as database and application server. In total 3 disks are needed to for the application, database log- and datadevices. I'm not sure about the ideal RAID configuration, what would you recommend ? I think mirroring all disks is mandatory for security reasons, but would it be sufficient to only stripe the datadevices ?
5 REPLIES 5
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: RAID

Does the database vendor have any recommendations?

It all depends on how much activity the database has. For a small database I could see doing a Raid5.

Here is a great site that can tell you about the advantages and disadvantages of each level, very good in my mind
http://www.raid.com/04_01_00.html
Matthias Albrecht

How is the hardware RAID configured, are there tools from HP/Compaq to do that ?
If yes, will they allow the configuration mentioned above?
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

You use a utility called the Array Configuration Utility. For the initial install it is run off the Smartstart CD that comes with the server. Very easy to use.

If the vendor says Raid 5 is ok, you will need at least 3 physical drives to set it up.
Matthias Albrecht

The database (about 10GB) will be used with high activity. So I don't think RAID 5 is an option. Using hardware RAID, what about the RAID controller channels, how do they affect performance ?
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

I'm not sure what you mean about the controller channels and having an effect on performance.