6254 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RAID1 to RAID0

Nelson Costa_1
Occasional Advisor

RAID1 to RAID0

Dear all,
I have smartarray 5i with 2disks in raid1 and a logical drive.
After migrating logical drive to raid0 I still see drive 1 as unused space in array and win2003srv does not start if drive1 is not present.
I want raid0 to use only drive0 and windows to boot.
Thks
11 REPLIES 11
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

When you migrate from raid 1 to 0
Yes free space will be there and you can use it to create another parition using that same.
There is no option as such i can define in raid to boot from a particular logical drive i suppose.
Create free space a another partition then try to boot and see.

REgards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Nelson Costa_1
Occasional Advisor

Prashant,
Is it possible at the end to remove drive1 from array?
We begin with Raid1 2disks and finish with raid0 1 disk. OS was installed and should boot normally from raid0 1 disk.
Thks for your answer
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

NO you cannot move that HDD out from from the RAID 0. that what i know.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Nelson Costa_1
Occasional Advisor

I have created the logical drive D: and windows now boots but drive1 must be inserted.
Are there any way to reduce the number of drive the raid0 is using (from 2 to 1)? And then remove drive1?
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Accourding to my info it cannot be done we cannot remove the another physical disk

current status
RAID 0
total Disk 2

If one removed then raid is broken and data loss

REgards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi Nelson

Once RAID0 is implemented, second disk can not be removed becuase data blocks are striped across multiple disks. Following link may be of help

http://www.prepressure.com/techno/raid.htm

Regards
Mahesh
Nelson Costa_1
Occasional Advisor

In conclusion: After migrating my logical drive even if it is using half the size of array, data is divided by both disks and there is no way to change a 2 disk raid0 array in a 1 disk raid0.
This means I will have to reinstall OS and software in a new raid0 disk :(.
There should be a way don't you think?
Thks

Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Sorry

We have to destroy raid then reconfigure the raid the and then install OS

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
e4services
Honored Contributor

Nelson, Your mistake was "Migrating". Using migration converted the current 2 drive RAID 1 mirror into a 2 drive RAID 0 (or 0+1 if you will), an additive logical drive from the space of the 2 drives, and yes removing one of the drives causes the logical drive to fail.
What you should have done is just remove one of the drives and not migrate. In this case you would have been running with a downgrade RAID 0, but you did not care. THe other option would have been to remove all the drives, clear the configuration and re-install one drive as a RAID 0 or on the std SCSI bus to reboot as a single OS drive.
Hot Swap Hard Drives