ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751790 Members
5012 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RAID1 with two disks, howto replace one of them ?

Kimmo Glaborg
Occasional Advisor

RAID1 with two disks, howto replace one of them ?

I have a DL380 G4 with a two disk raid1 mirror on a smart array 6i controller. Now we just found out that our supplier put in one Ultra3 by mistake instead of a Ultra 320 disks, and we now got the replacement. Is it just to shut down the server and replace to the new disk or do I need to consider anthing when doing this ?
4 REPLIES 4
Markus Dittrich

its easy, replace the Ultra3 drive and wait until the array is rebuilded. thats all. you don├В┬┤t need to shut down or reboot the system
Akos Hegedus
Valued Contributor

You have to power off the server, pull out the wrong disk. Then switch on, fail the missing drive and hot-plug the new one. I prefer to stop booting the OS or disconnect from network for faster regenerating the RAID.
HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

When the drive is replaced and the server is poweredon the array will rebuild, it is better to take off the network so that is might be a little faster.

Rgds

HGN
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

I've done it both ways hot and cold swaps. Hot is very reliable, and I've never had trouble with it. Cold swaps are a bit more trouble, and you MUST answer the questions correctly. Read the prompts carefully if you're going to do the cold boot/swap. Also, when the system asks you to do option 1) or option 2) on the reboot, and it's counting down the seconds too quickly, and you've not read/thought about which choice long enough - JUST HIT SPACE BAR to finish reading and stop the countdown timer...

But, I cast my vote for hot swap on that thing.

Caveat Emptor - *always* have a good backup first.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett