ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752282 Members
4687 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

RAID5 - Background parity initialization is currently queued or in progress - taking long time...

RGBNetworks
Occasional Visitor

RAID5 - Background parity initialization is currently queued or in progress - taking long time...

Hi everyone.

I have a client who has a raid 5 with 3 physical disks.  One of the disks just failed, and we have swapped it with a new disk.  Within the Status Alerts of the Array configuration Utility we are getting the message below:

Background parity initialization is currently queued or in progress on Logical Drive 2 (558.7 GB, RAID 5). If background parity initialization is queued, it will start when I/O is performed on the drive. When background parity initialization completes, the performance of the logical drive will improve.

It has been there for 8 hours so far - is there anything I must do?

Please advise.

Thanks!

Chris

2 REPLIES 2
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: RAID5 - Background parity initialization is currently queued or in progress - taking long time..

What product are you asking about?

RGBNetworks
Occasional Visitor

Re: RAID5 - Background parity initialization is currently queued or in progress - taking long time..

Hi there.

Sorry. I am using the Proliant ML350 G6 with raid 5 for Data drive on an SBS 2011.

The 300 GB SAS 15k 6/Gbps disk failed so I replaced with a similar one but with 12gbps cause of stock issues and so far it completed successfully. Took a day and a half to finish.

Regards,

Chris