108788 Solutions
New Discussion

RAID5 Ready for rebuild???

Copis_1
Advisor

RAID5 Ready for rebuild???

Proliant ML570 G2 + smart 5300
A disk fails...
I simply put in another disk (as always).
The disk starts rebuilding but after 16 percent stops and goes to status "Waiting for rebuild"
Inserting another new disk gives me the same error.
What's up??!

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Disk to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). - Hp Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
George Liu_4
Trusted Contributor

Re: RAID5 Ready for rebuild???

If system is available to shutdown, try to get into the RAID array menu to manually rebuild there and check additional info.
It is possible both disks are bad. Yes. It happened several times here... Don't laugh.
e4services
Honored Contributor

You can test the drives or let the controller Format the drives to verify that they are not bad as it has been suggested.
Most likely it is the data that is causing the RAID to not rebuild. The rebuild prosses will get to a point in that point in the data and continuesly retry unti it gives up. This does happen a lot.
To recover you will have to completely backup the data on the RAID, delete the array and re-configure it, Initialize a logical drive and restore the data.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Copis_1
Advisor

Yeps, I seem to have another disk that is giving Hard read errors, but this disk is still in condition OK.
I've updated all the firmwares with the CD but nothing helps.
I just can't believe that my only option is to backup/restore the system onto a new raid5. I'm talking about a production system containing more than 1TB of data. This is HP I'm talking about, not some clone server. There has to be something I can try.
vinz_1
Occasional Contributor

Hello,
i have exactly the same problem with my ML 570 G3. The adaptec controller has a "ready for rebuid status" afer a remplacement of a failed disk. Do have you resolve your problem ?, and what have you do to recover your disk array correctly ?
thank's a lot for you respond.
Vinz