cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM upgrade

Kevin Chandler
Occasional Visitor

RAM upgrade

My HP ProLiant ML310 G5 came with 4 gigs of ram and recently due to frequent remote access its become obvious that I need more. My first obvious step was double check how much ram I had and what type of operation system I was running which were again confirmed as 4 gigs of ram and windows server standard FE 64bit. So I knew that 4 gigs was not the max, but to confirm I Checked the manual for the computer and under the memory section it listed what type of Ram I needed and how I should align them for different sizes. which also confirmed that I could have up to 8 gigs of ram. So I went out and got two two gig PNY DDR2 PC2-6400 RAM sticks which is what the manual said i needed. I turned off my computer and pulled the power cords then installed the new RAM (I repeated this step several times after it did not work). When I attempted to boot the computer back up the furthest left of the three LEDs turned amber and the computer began beeping, so I held in the power button and shut down the computer pulling the power cords again before attempting uninstalling and reinstalling the sticks several times in both the original and other configurations, however I continued to get the same error. For arguement sake I removed the two original sticks and loaded just the two new PNY sticks to make sure they were working and the computer started up just fine, I then tried the same thing with the original sticks making sure they were not damaged and again it started up fine. I Also tried using just one of the new sticks and it still did not work. The manual does not state any steps that needed to be taken interally on the computer to install new ram and I've never had to do anything in the past to upgrade computers, so I'm at a loss as to why I am getting an error. Any help would be greatly appreciated in this matter.
2 REPLIES
Alex Geroulaitis
Respected Contributor

Re: RAM upgrade

It looks like the server requires ECC memory:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12858_na/12858_na.html

Try ECC version of the same memory or buy HP RAM, "2GB Unbuffered PC2-6400 ECC DIMM (1 x 2 GB), P/N 450260-B21".
Systems Administrator
(if my post was helpful, please "mark as a solution" or give "kudos" - thanks)
Kevin Chandler
Occasional Visitor

Re: RAM upgrade

Thank you for the input, but if I got the wrong memory why does it work when I use the new sticks without the old?