1751865 Members
5588 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: RHEL 6.8 on DL380 Gen 9

weq92f2
Visitor

RHEL 6.8 on DL380 Gen 9

Looking for some advice regarding setting up RHEL on DL Gen 9.  My first attempt was successful at install but failed to boot.  This lead me to many a google result related to UEFI/Legacy BIOS mode, /boot, drivers for the p440ar Smart Array controller and a number of other possible causes.

Red Hat Premium support isn't doing anything but searching their knowledgebase and sending me links to those articles ( I've already done all that ).

Hopefully someone on these boards has successfully gotten RHEL to run on the DL380 Gen 9 and can describe their setup.

Thanks,

-KLB

2 REPLIES 2
weq92f2
Visitor

More info on my situation...

While operating in Legacy BIOS mode, I was able to build out a logical drive using the smart array controller ( p440ar ) like so...

o build an raid 1 array with 2 disks and 1 hot spare.

o build a primary ( normal non-LVM ) partition called /boot at 250MB on the logical drive

o use the remaining space to create an LVM PV

o create a VG over top of that PV

o build out the necessaray LVs for / /home /var /tmp and swap space.

o boot the machine from USB stick, load the installer and proceed to install RHEL 6.8 without issues

Upon boot, the system hangs on "Attempting boot from hard drive (C: )" at the top of the screen forever ( 24 hours ).

I'm interested to know the following from someone out there running RHEL 6 on DL380 Gen 9:

UEFI mode or Legacy Mode?  How did you configure /boot ( where )?  Any other changes to BIOS settings?  If in Legacy mode, how did you get the SATA mode to RAID ( on mine it is greyed out and stuck on AHCI )?  In general what is the trick to get the boot loader to see the array LUN at boot time?

Thanks,

-klb

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Works fine in both UEFI and Legacy BIOS modes.  When in Legay mode you need to specify the boot drive/LUN in the array configuration utility.  Not required for UEFI

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!