4968 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RHEL and HP don't agree on pci=bfsort server list

PhilipR
Occasional Contributor

RHEL and HP don't agree on pci=bfsort server list

Background:

PCI devices are detected in a certain order, which can affect their device "name" (sda, sdb, eth0, eth1) in Linux. Certain servers (not just HP) require the pci=bfsort kernel option to force breadth-first searching. This is especially important when the RHEL installer configures GRUB, and has to know how storage devices are sorted by the BIOS.

For certain servers, RHEL kernels automatically use "bfsort", based on a whitelist of server types, e.g the DL580 G7:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=644879

HP have a Customer Advisory explaining the issue, the workaround, the whitelist and a list of affected servers: 

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&objectID=c01430330

Problems

- RHEL's whitelist should contain all the servers listed in the Customer Advisory, but does not.

- HP's list of "Hardware Platforms Affected" includes no G7 server, yet RHEL's whitelist does.

- BL460c G7 servers are affected (personal observation), but are not listed anywhere.

How can I draw this to HP's attention to request a fix? 

3 REPLIES 3
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: RHEL and HP don't agree on pci=bfsort server list

>How can I draw this to HP's attention to request a fix?

A fix to the documentation?

There is a Content feedback section.  There is also a Contact HP link at the bottom.

PhilipR
Occasional Contributor

Not only a fix to the documentation (I've sent "content feedback", let's hope...), but the team within HP responsible for maintaining hardware-specific patches to RHEL / Linux kernels.

Red Hat have basically said "... you need to contact HP to get patches for all new affected hardware. They need to work with Red Hat to get the hardware whitelisted ..."

Where can I file kernel bugs against HP's hardware, for supported operating systems, in a way that will get the attention of HP's Linux Kernel team?

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Where can I file kernel bugs against HP's hardware, for supported operating systems, in a way that will get the attention of HP's Linux Kernel team?

Do you have a support contract?  Using that would be the best way.