ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752353 Members
6356 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RHL AS 4 on ML350 G2

James Clack

RHL AS 4 on ML350 G2

Try as I might, I can't get RH Linux AS 4 to recognize the Smart Array 532 on my ML350-G2.

I've tried driver disks w/ drivers as close to those for my machine and any number other command line args to get it to go, but no joy.

Unattended the setup stalls when installing CCISS. In other modes I get to the GUI interface but then can't create partitions on the RAID-5 array.

What am I doing wrong?

JWC
4 REPLIES 4
Anthony Martin_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi James,
Couple of questions

Have you configured the Smart Array 532 before loading the OS. eg configured an array. RHAS4 should automatically detect the device.

Anyway, there are no binary's for RHAS4 on the HP website.
Therefore I suggest you go to the CCISS sourceforge site and build the modules from source.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=33072

Hope this helps
Anthony
SPa
Trusted Contributor

As per Support Matrices,Red Hat 4 is not supported on ML350 G2.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/linux/hpLinuxcert-archive.html

James Clack

Why in the world would AS 4 not be supported? Conversely, why would AS 4 have problems w/ this server?

JWC
Andrea Nenni
Occasional Advisor

I installed succesfully Red hat enterprise Linux ES update 3 on an ML350 G2.
I used a preconfigured raid1 on the smartarray 532.

I had to install in text mode cause it hanged after partitioning, as documented in a red hat advisory about and ati rage Xl driver bug in update 3.
Then, to be safe, I also disabled graphical boot (which sometimes caused hangs) and graphical login.
Then X started manually works well.

I'm curious to know why this reasonably recent server is not supported with RHEL 4, it's probably the only G2 Proliant non listed in support matrixes.