108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RILOE II

SOLVED
Go to solution
George Rayer
Frequent Advisor

RILOE II

I recently installed a Remote Insight Lights-Out Edition II in our Proliant ML370 G2.
Although I can connect to it over the net, the mouse is unusable within the Window(s).
I have "downgraded" the server mouse to "no acceleration" etc, as specified in a 10 point advisory, and the first time after that, it worked!!! But never again???
I have had to brush up on keyboard shortcuts, but special keys are a bit of a problem...
13 REPLIES 13
George Rayer
Frequent Advisor

Connecting from the LAN works fine.
It's over the Internet that the mouse has a problem.
George Rayer
Frequent Advisor

Connecting via the LAN doesn't work fine now. Anybody have suggestion?
Brent_34
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding your configuration.

Are you going through a KVM? If so is it a compaq KVM? Has the firmware been updated on it lately?

Have you checked the 30 Pin cable that goes from the Riloe2 to the system board on that server? This contains the Power, mouse/keyboard and power down signals.

Do you have the mouse connected directly to the server or have you installed Y cables?
Y cables are not needed when a 16 or 30 Pin connector is used in newer servers and will cause problems.

Does the mouse work at the server locally?

Try updating both the firmware on the Riloe2 and the ML370G2

Hope this helps
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

we are installing the RILO 2
This will explain what we require and what not for same server
http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/remote-lightsout/server-slot-matrix.html

And we need to take care of few things like user loging and console option we are selecting
Remote console full/cusrosr 2

Regards,
Prashant S.

Nothing is impossible
George Rayer
Frequent Advisor

Are you going through a KVM?... Yes - always have done so.
If so is it a compaq KVM?... No, but can't say what make it is, until Monday.
Has the firmware been updated on it lately?... No - I never thought to do this, and did not know it was possible, and do not know how to do that.
Have you checked the 30 Pin cable that goes from the Riloe2 to the system board on that server? This contains the Power, mouse/keyboard and power down signals.... This was put in by me and should be OK, esp as it has all worked occasionally.

Do you have the mouse connected directly to the server or have you installed Y cables?
Y cables are not needed when a 16 or 30 Pin connector is used in newer servers and will cause problems.... I am not using the Y cables as advised.

Does the mouse work at the server locally? ...Yes, always, and through the KVM.

Try updating both the firmware on the Riloe2 and the ML370G2.... This sounds a v. good idea and I will be doing it next week.

... Thanks for your input, Brent.
Brent_34
Frequent Advisor

George,

If updating the firmware does not resolve the issue I would suggest trying without the third party KVM if possible.

I know compaq KVM and IP console switches have updates for firmware but I am not sure if your 3rd party one would.

Brent
Brent_34
Frequent Advisor

I'm not sure what KVM you have but here is a customer advisory that may help.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_ES030219_CW03

As another test you may want to bypass Proxy server usage in IE for your Riloe 2 IP address if it is enabled. I have seen this setting cause problems before.

Cheers
George Rayer
Frequent Advisor

"I would suggest trying without the third party KVM if possible." ... yes, I'll try that.

"here is a customer advisory that may help" ... not sure of the hardware yet, but it certainly looks like the same problem.

"bypass Proxy server usage in IE for your Riloe 2" ... we don't use a proxy server, so I don't think this applies here.

Many thanks for these suggestions, Brent
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

hi,

Update the firmware for same.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible