1751838 Members
5336 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RILOEII Remote Console - Operation timed out

Adrian P Wilkinson

RILOEII Remote Console - Operation timed out

Hi,

We've recently taken on a new client whose previous service company hadn't been keeping an eye on their

systems and as a result they had gotten into a bit of a state - no service packs, critical updates or

security patches, virus definitions dated June 2002, last backup dated August 2003, etc.

The client is very budget-concious and therefore we've a little limited to the solution we've been able

to put in place so I'm trying to work with what we have rather than what we would like to have. The

client had a single user static single-IP 512MB ADSL (PPPoA) connected to a Thomson/Alcatel SpeedTouch

510 ethernet modem which we've now replaced with a D-Link DSL-504T ADSL router with built-in four-port

switch.

I've configured the machine to forward all incoming traffic on an obscure port (let's just say port

1234 for an example) to port 443 (HTTPS) on the RILOEII card; everything else goes to ISA Server 2000

(heavilly locked down) running on their server.

I've gone and connected to their external IP address on port 1234 and have sucessfully been able to access the HTML parts of the RILOEII card, however when I go to use the graphical remote console, I'm greeting with a blank/black screen and eventually recieve the message:

java.net.NoRouteToHostException: Operation timed out.

I've looked through all the documentation I can find but can't see any reference to needing to open up additional ports to remotely access a RILOE card over the Internet. Could anyone provide any pointers as to what has gone wrong or if additional ports need opening up?

Regards, Ade.
8 REPLIES 8
Stuart gill_1
Advisor

Re: RILOEII Remote Console - Operation timed out

Ade - as a first check - do you have at least JRE ver 1.3.1 (java runtime) I have seen similar issues with remote console - you can download it free. regards
no solo de pan vive el hombre
Adrian P Wilkinson

I have the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine running here - I'll go grab Sun's version and give it a go.
Adrian P Wilkinson

Okay, Sun Java 1.4.2_05-b04 gives me the same result although with a slightly differently worded error message.
Adrian P Wilkinson

Mmmm, running 'netstat' a couple of times makes it apparent that it's trying to telnet (TCP 23) to the Remote Insight board.

There is a "Remote Insight Remote Console Port" option under the Global Settings that specifies port 23, so I assume this is where I can change the port needed to gain access to the graphical remote console. If I changed this to, say, 3456 would I simply need to add a rule to forward TCP 3456 on the external interface to to TCP 3456 on the RILOEII card?

Regards, Ade.
Stuart gill_1
Advisor

Sounds feasible Ade - you will need to configure port forwarding for 3456 via route add. Are the external ports
and internal ports the same? e.g.(3456->3456) regards
no solo de pan vive el hombre
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Port for Operating the RILO II are
80 and 23.
Where as i am going to read the thread again to check what we are missing.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Please check the link with same error information no related to rilo infact
http://www.wodeveloper.com/omniLists/webobjects-admin/2002/July/msg00002.html

But what i can suggest try same on a good connection and increase the timeut setting or rilo (session Timeout).

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Adrian P Wilkinson

Hi Prashant,

Thanks for your input - I'll have a look at that link in more detail if I'm unable to resolve the matter.

As I said in my previous posting, I can see that the Java client was trying to make a connection to TCP 23 (telnet) which was not open on the firewall. I then went into configuration and changed the port to TCP 2345 (for example) and saw that the Java client was then trying to open a connection to that port after the card had rebooted and I retried getting up the console.

Seems to me that all I need to do is open up TCP 2345 on the firewall in order to be able to get it to work, but today is a Public Holiday in the United Kingdom so I can't do anything about it until at least tomorrow. I'm just rather peeved-off that I have to do a 150 mile round-trip in order to open a port on the firewall but after spending 12 hours on-site on Friday I was too tired to test it was working before I left!

Regards, Ade.