Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIP: Proliant 1600

Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

RIP: Proliant 1600

You will not be missed...

Who can forget the handles that locked the CPU and expansion cages into place? The same handles that broke when you were swearing because you couln't get the extremely long edge connector to fit into the socket all the way at the front of the cages...

The very narrow space up front for a tape drive...
So narrow that there wasn't physically space for the DLT drive that was on the recommended accessories list for the server.
(I ruined a couple of SCSI cables by ramming the drive into place. Afterwards I learned to use longer screws in the front, with spacers.)

So, Rest In Pieces, old Proliant, you've done enough damage to my knuckles now.
(We still have a few of them in use, but they will all be scrapped before Xmas. I consider that the best xmas present I could get)
4 REPLIES
wobbe
Respected Contributor

Re: RIP: Proliant 1600

lol. That's a long production run!
Is that the first generation 1600 with the old type hot pluggable disks? You know with the brackets that tend to brack when you need to replace the disk.
My last 1600 got replace a few years ago but they should still be in the store room. So if anybody is looking for some collectables :-)
A proliant 5500 is my most senior server at the moment. Running strong for almost 10 years. Who can do better?
Troy Griese
Occasional Visitor

Ever try changing out the standard power supply for the n+1 redundant one??? Ouch.
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

Yeah, it WAS of the first series, with the 'hot breakable' disks...

Anyway, I still miss the old SystemPro it replaced. A much more elegant system.

I bet the users at that location will love the ML110 G5 I installed to replace the 1600. It's so QUIET!
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

@Tony

I did the deed with the triple PSUs on a whole batch of them.

There's a reason I have a rubber mallet in my bottom lefthand drawer...