1752752 Members
5125 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ROM Flash component update problem in ML350 G3

gunsuper

ROM Flash component update problem in ML350 G3

Dear all,

I have firmware maintenance CD v7.6. There is a driver called "cp006483.scexe". But the file size is greater than a standard floppy diskette can store. But ML350 G3 doesn't support bootable USB key.

Download this smart component and save it to a floppy disk.
Boot the server from the Firmware Maintenance CD version 7.0 or later.
Run the ROM Update Utility.

Follow the instructions found under the "Supplemental Disk" tab to
install the update from the floppy disk.

How can I install this driver or firmware CD can detect automatically and find the file from CD to install without using floppy diskette.

Thanks !!

Tom
9 REPLIES 9
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Firmware CD is used to update firmwares in the server HDDs, controller and so on.

first download the latest version 7.8
burn in a CD
restart your server and the server has to reboot using it

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/27225.html

see the notes in the page

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
gunsuper123

Hello Kario,

I mean that the file is so big to fit into diskette, ML350 doesn't support USB key.

Usually the ROM Flash component requires Firmware CD and a floppy disk to install. But the problem is that the driver I want to install is not available in online mode, only offline mode, according to instruction, I need to boot firmware CD, then choose floppy disk under supplemental disk to install.

So I ask rather than bootable USB key, how can I install drivers that is large to fit into a floppy diskette like cp006473.scexe. It contains BD03698276, BD03688272, BD0279827A,.....

Thanks !!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

sorry what firmware you need to intall?

Online ROM Flash Component for Windows - HP ProLiant ML350 G3 (D14)

Systems ROMPaq Firmware Upgrade Diskette for HP ProLiant ML350 G3 (D14) Servers

Offline ROM Flash for SmartStart Maintenance: ROM Update Utility - HP ProLiant ML350 G3 (D14)

??

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

Disk fw. from cp006483 contained in Firmware Maintenance CD v.7.70 and higher.
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

And ML350 G3 have USB port. You do not need to boot from USB key. You need to boot from Firmware Maintenance CD, insert USB key with .scexe and than switch to "Supplemental Disk" tab and install the update.
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

than==then:)
gunsuper123

Basil Vizgin,

Thanks for your reply first.

Firstly, I want to clarify something as I see that there is no USB key feature in specification of ML350 G3.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/platforms/usb-support.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN#4

So I want to know that whether the purpose of USB KEY is just to boot when CD or floppy diskette is not available ?

Also according to your reply, if the file is so big to fit into a diskette, does it mean that I only copy the cp006483.scexe into USB drive (non-bootable), then when I boot firmware CD, I can choose this file from USB in supplemental disk, no need to choose from diskette ?

As I only know the instruction to copy file into floppy when updating offline ROM Flash Component.

If it is true as you say can lookup files in USB after firmware CD is booted, then my problem is solved. But one thing, cp006483.scexe only available in firmware CD version 7.6 not 7.7 as I need to follow others servers, so even have new version not allowed to use, just use the same firmware updates as other servers that tried before.
gunsuper123

Kario,

The version of firmware CD I'm using is 7.6 not 7.7. As I need to follow the exact version of firmware updates that other servers had installed. Also I only see cp006483.scexe in version 7.6 not 7.7

http://www.compaq.com/support/files/server/us/WebDoc/firmware/firmware760content.pdf

http://www.compaq.com/support/files/server/us/WebDoc/firmware/firmware770content.pdf

yes, I need to update Offline ROM Flash Component
gunsuper123

Basil Vizgin,

As in your previous reply,

"And ML350 G3 have USB port. You do not need to boot from USB key. You need to boot from Firmware Maintenance CD, insert USB key with .scexe and then switch to "Supplemental Disk" tab and install the update. "

Do I just copy .scexe into USB key as usual like diskette does or

Do I need to use USB Key creator utility to transfer .scexe to USB Key ?

Thanks !!