108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RPS on ml350 G5

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alan Morrison2

RPS on ml350 G5

Hi,

I have a question regarding the redundant power supply on a ML350 G6 server (tower).

Power supply number 1 is lit with a green LED indicating normal operation. The second RPS led is unlit, even though it has a power cable connected (and is live of course).

Insight Manager tells me that the RPS is operational, although it had given me a 'general failure' error prior to reseating the power cable properly. Currently it is showing in insight manager as "OK". Also, the integrated log says the fault to RPS #2 is repaired.

If i disconnect/reconnect the power cable, the LED shows green for 2/3 seconds and then goes out.

I have taken look at some of the other G5 servers we have and all of their RPS's show green LED's on all of the RPS's.

Is my insight manager lying to me/the RPS lying to insight manager?

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: RPS on ml350 G5

hi

- first of all check your System management homepage to check any information there

- just to check your getting the errors from integrated management log right?

- have you check your windows event log (in case it is windows)?

- update insight agents
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121586&prodNameId=3279711&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-5a2d06a4f63b4479ae86e80bd3

- also if you can swap the power supplies or test another good power supply in that bay to check if the power supply is failing of the power supply backplane is bad

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Alan,
The Agents are not honest. Update them.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00764290

;) Regards.
Alan Morrison2

Thanks All.

I should have mentioned we are running SSD 7.70. I've updated the server to 7.90, but my RPS still shows as OK.

One other thing is the fan inside the RPS is not spinning so i assume it is dead, just not being reported correctly.

AMRIT RANJAN
Frequent Advisor

Hi, as you told that rps led lit for 3 sec
and turns off, rps may be faulty , you can refix or swap it from another bay and if you
can share the rev no of power supply then i can check for any defection , you will find it above GPN and SPN , rev is mentioned

if by refixing or by swapping same issue then probably rps requires replacement
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Alan,
Would you be able to swap these 2 PSU ? Or perhaps try a RPS from another server, where its LED remains green.

:) Regards.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Refer:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00772855

On the label :-
P/N: 379123-001
Rev 02M is bad.
Rev 03M without green dot is bad
Rev 03M with green dot is OK (reworked)
Rev 04M is OK
P/N: 379124-001 - All OK.

The green dot is a small circular label to the right of the Revision information.

Regards.
Alan Morrison2

Since the fan inside the rps has failed, i've logged a service call and HP will be out today to replace it.

thx all.