cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rack and Power Manager

Sanjiv Bhatia
Occasional Advisor

Rack and Power Manager

Can rack and power manager (agents) be installed on non-HP servers ?
5 REPLIES
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Rack and Power Manager

Though I have never done it, it should be possible since it is a software agent that talks to a master server and has ties into the OS for things like automated Shutdown/Reboot/Etc.

Are you talking about the HP Rack and Power Software?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Sanjiv Bhatia
Occasional Advisor

yes Rack and power software, THe UPS is a HP, but I have a mixture of HP and Dell servers connected to the UPS and want to know if I can install the agents on the Dell Servers as well.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I am pretty sure that the software is hardware independant, but will check into it.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Minimum Requirements for HP Power Manager Agents
Hardware and Software Minimum Requirements

Hardware 233 MHz processor

System Memory 64 MB of RAM
Disk Space 10 MB for the System Agent
10 MB for the Serial Relay Agent

Server Operating System Microsoft Windows® NT® Server 4.0 Retail, Service Pack 6a
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Enterprise, Service Pack 6a
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, Service Pack 4
Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Service Pack 4
Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
United Linux 1.0
RedHat 7.3 Server
RedHat 8.0 Server
RedHat Enterprise Linux 2.1 (AS, WS, ES)
Novell NetWare 5.1, Service Pack 6
Novel Netware 6.0, Service Pack 3
Server Software TCP/IP installed
SNMP services installed and active
Supported Browsers Microsoft Windows - Internet Explorer 6.0
Linux - Mozilla 1.4

Doesn't mention hP hardware only so it should be sfe to assume that dell servers wouldwork as well (IBM too, or any machine wunning the supported OS's).

St
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Tony Glynn_2
Occasional Advisor

Be careful with the RPM software. My experience is that its a huge resource hog. We experienced regular 50% processor utilisation on a 2 proc DL380G3. It was managing 12 R6000 UPS at the time.

It runs the open source database "Firebird" which again is a mystery. HP are using SQL server for both Insight 7 and RDP (Altiris). Why can't RPM run on SQL - that way I don't have to manage two data base systems, I can minimise resource contention on my management servers, I could implement clustering to make the solution more resiliant and I have a fighting chance of doing performance optimisation on the DB.

There are other aspect of it which are odd. For example can't get an aggregated view of you power status (you have to keep opening and closing UPS status windows) If I had this then I could use the RPM on my enterprise management console, the event system has about 20 events mentioned - such as 'Supply power overvolt' yet only 3 of them actually trigger anything. The authentication system is pointless as well - It needs to hook back into a directory service ala iLO DS integration with some role based access. Another beef is the lack of authentication support on the UPS Ethernet cards as well. If you don't use a filtered VLAN for the UPS (sometimes hard in branch enviroments) then anyone can run up RPM, Scan for UPS and then do whatever they want - a real security hole.