1753776 Members
7652 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Rage IIC vs RIB Problems

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Rage IIC vs RIB Problems

I have just had to re-install Windows 2K onto our CL380 (after having run an up-to-date Win2K previously), and was able to get it installed ok, but now find that on boot the system becomes unusable because of no video display.

i.e., I get the inital boot message up through the SCSI device identifications, but at the point that the RIB board used to put up its messages, the screen is cleared and nothing every appears on it afterward, though it seems from the double beep and disk accesses that the boot is continuing.

Boot from Support Paq disks 4.90 or 5.30 also works the same way. No video is on the integrated video output either, but if the RIB card is removed, the boot is normal.

Lo and behold, I find that the latest Customer Advisory (1/30/02) on the CL380 Referece Library, "Loss Of Video Signal When Upgrading From Windows 2000 " seems to describe my symptoms. There is some screw up here,
however, since it recommends updating to 5.0.2195.3250 of the Rage IIC driver which it states can be found on the latest (5.14A) Windows 2000 Support Paq. However this one has 5.0.2195.3249 and .3250 is not to be found.

The Tech Support person did not seem to know about (or be interested in) this Customer Advisory.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,

Tom Breeden
tmb@virginia.edu
6 REPLIES 6
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Rage IIC vs RIB Problems

Tom,

We are seeing the same symptoms on a number of DL-380s. We have a call open with Compaq and have tried numerous suggestions to correct it. So far, no luck. Remove the RIB card and everything is fine.

Will post resolution when we get it resolved.

Dan Barber
dbarber6@csc.com
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I had the same problem. Resolution was inserting RIB in first (short) PCI slot. You must remove NIC card (fabric installed!!!) and install RIB instead. NIC card you can install in anyone free slot. This was proper solution of my problem.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks, but
Tech support also told me to change the PCI boards from the way they were
delivered. However, I put the RIB into the first slot and the ethernet into the
third and it makes no difference in the symptoms.

Tom Breeden
tmb@virginia.edu
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have the same problem with a CL380. Will post another message to see if it gets the attention of anyone at Compaq Support.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Final resolution: Support sent me a new RIB board, and this one started up
without problem. I still suspect that it was a Firmware problem, but maybe
just hardware gone bad.

Tom Breeden
tmb@virginia.edu
Jeremy Black
Frequent Advisor

I found that putting the rib card in the bottom (small) slot fixed my problem as well. I have several DL380's that had the same problem. Still, there was a video device that was not detected, but one that WAS detected was added. I disabled the one that was not detected correctly. Now I can run my standard resolution, 800x600 16 bit (for servers).
Thanks for the help!!