7518 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Raid 0 to 1 on ML 110 SATA

SOLVED
Go to solution

Raid 0 to 1 on ML 110 SATA

Hi

i want to migrate from an existing sata hdd raid 0 to a raid 1 with another sata disk.

Well the ml 110 have an embedded controller, this controller can do this operation? hp publish some paper with this operation?

Best Regards
Manuel
3 REPLIES 3
Sebin Philip
Regular Visitor
Solution

Re: Raid 0 to 1 on ML 110 SATA

Hello Manuel,

Which Generation server is the ML110??? Different generations have slightly different options within the Phoenix BIOS and the Configuration Utility. You may check the 100 series user guide from the following URL:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179911&taskId=101&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=446009

(not the Service and Maintenance guide, please check fr the 100 series user guide).

Page # 33 onwards explains about the SATA RAID in detail.

regards,
Sebin
RufusG
Frequent Advisor

I recommend that you add a hardware RAID controller, as the software RAID uses too much of the computer resources

I installed a hardware RAID Controller and added 2 extra SATA disks to create a RAID-1 store that is fail-safe. ( Today I would use the Promise TX2300 at about $70 ).

I only put the Operating System on to the original single disk.

I only put Data on to the RAID drive.

( 3 SATA drives in total )

There are 4 advantages to this:

1. The hardware RAID drive starts the moment the power is on and is virtually independent of the rest of the computer. It has excellent RAID Array Manager software.

2. You could move the RAID disks and Controller card to another computer in minutes.

3. The Windows Swap File and the Data are on 2 separate drives, so the overall system performance is improved.

4. You can rebuild and upgrade the Operating System or re-format the original single disk without disturbing your Data.

I keep working Data on my workstation and I have a backup utility to copy complete files and folders over to the RAID-1 drive on the server as they change.

- Belt & Braces
- LOCKS ( Lots of Copies Keep Safe )

This way I am storing personal Data and family photographs going back to 1984.

Not a very expensive solution and it is very effective.

I hope that this helps you

It's an ML 110 G3.

Thanks for the Help.