cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raid 5 Expansion - Proliant Server

Charles Hall
Occasional Visitor

Raid 5 Expansion - Proliant Server

I added 2 72g scsi units to my existing array of 4. I have expanded the array and the logical drive. Now the status says:

# 785 Background parity initialization is currently queued or in progress on logical drive 1 ( RAID 5 in array A). If background parity initialization is queued, it will start when I/O is performed on the drive. When background parity initialization completes, the performance of the logical drive will improve.

Do I have to wait to use DISKPART to utilize the unallocated space showing in device manager? About how long should the process take? Expanding took forever!

chaz

2 REPLIES
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: Raid 5 Expansion - Proliant Server

see this
"if you select Logical Drive View in ACU, click on the logical drive you are expanding and then click More Information it will tell you the % completion."

and also check the priority if you need a fast expansion it will impact the performance of the server. low or medium is the recommendation.

check this thread also

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=956681

yes when the % is completed you can diskpart to extend the space

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Joyson Noronha
Frequent Advisor

Re: Raid 5 Expansion - Proliant Server

Hi Charles.

- Ideally Expansion Process Takes about 10-15 Min Per GB of Data.

- To Increase the Speed, you can Change the Expansion Priority from Low to High in Array Configuration Utility

-Also in Array Configuration Utility . You can Verify if the Controller Came with any Battery Backed Cache from Controller Settings

- By Default it will be on 100% Read & If there is Cache . you can Increase the Write Option

-Diskpart can only be used , When the Array Configuration Utility shows it has Completed Expansion under Controller Messages

-Joyson